West Florida Public Libraries seeks to provide its users with a safe and pleasant library experience in an atmosphere conducive to study, reading and appropriate use of materials and services. So that all persons may enjoy the benefits of the library, individuals visiting or using the library’s facilities or services (“users”) must comply with the following guidelines for library use:
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied at all times by a parent, guardian or other responsible person.
- The Library Director may restrict adult use of children’s areas in order to ensure the adequate protection of the library facilities and of persons and property therein.
- Shirts and shoes or other footwear are to be worn while in the building.
- Persons under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs are not allowed on library property.
- All libraries are tobacco free, smoke free, and e-cigarette free, including lobbies, restrooms, hallways, stairwells, employee eating areas, conference rooms, all open-air balconies, and entrances and exits adjacent to the building. Smoking may only occur in designated smoking areas posted outside of library buildings.
- People, animals, or property must not block aisles, doorways, stairways, elevators or ramps. Large objects such as carts and bicycles may not be brought into library facilities. Personal property must be within sight of the owner.
- Lying on the floor or furniture is prohibited.
- Persons who remain at library facilities after closing, and who need assistance to return home, may be referred to the police in order to ensure their safety.
- Roller skates, scooters, skateboards or other similar devices must not be used on library property.
- Indecent exposure, including but not limited to having sex and/or exhibiting lewd and offensive nakedness, is prohibited.
- Vandalizing or abusing library materials, equipment or facilities is prohibited.
- Soliciting money, donations or signatures is not allowed.
- Selling of merchandise without the prior authorization of the Library Director is prohibited.
- Unreasonable use of restrooms, including laundering and bathing, is prohibited.
- Blocking library entrance areas or interfering with the free flow of pedestrian traffic in such areas is not allowed.
- Animals, other than service animals assisting persons with disabilities, are not permitted inside Library facilities or within 10 feet of any door.
- Any activity that unreasonably interferes with library user or staff comfort, safety, use of the library, is not allowed including but not limited to:
- Harassing or threatening library users or staff;
- Staring at or following library users or staff;
- Strong, pervasive odors including odors caused by perfume or cologne;
- Making any loud or unreasonable noise or other disturbance, including disruptive use of personal communication or entertainment devices including cell phones.
Persons who violate these guidelines may receive a warning from the library staff and/or an opportunity to cease the violation or leave the library. Illegal activity, as well as any willful or repeated violations of these guidelines or other posted library regulations (e.g. computer and internet use rules), may result in removal from the facility and/or suspension of Library privileges. In addition, where authorized by federal, state or local law, violations of these guidelines may also result in arrest.
Adopted by the West Florida Public Library Board on May 14, 2008.
Revised and approved by the West Florida Public Library Board of Governance on February 22, 2016.
Revised and approved by the West Florida Public Library Board of Governance on October 24, 2016.