· You should expect to see yourself and your interests represented in our library collections.
· You should expect to receive respect and excellent customer service.
· You may talk and have conversations in the library but must be considerate of others.
· You may use your cellphone, laptop, or other technology, but must be considerate of others.
· You may have small snacks or single-person meals in the library.
· You may have non-alcoholic drinks in a closed container in the library.
· You may use a meeting room or study room to have a quiet space when available.
· You may bring your service animal into the library to assist you.
· You must supervise your children under the age of twelve (12) at all times.
· You must keep personal property with you at all times.
· You must wear clothing (shirts, pants, etc.) and footwear (shoes, sandals, etc.).
· You must not leave vulnerable adults unaccompanied.
· You must not bring large objects into the library. This includes, but is not limited to carts, bicycles, and oversized bags (greater than 32 inches x 18 inches x 18 inches).
· You must not block aisles, hallways, doorways, staircases, elevators or ramps.
· You must not lie on the floor or furniture.
· You must not restrict, block, or impede entrance or exit areas or engage in any activity that disrupts pedestrian, bicycle, or traffic flow outside library facilities.
· You must not solicit money, sell merchandise, request donations, conduct surveys, poll citizens, or engage in any activity that disrupts or interferes with library use by others.
· You must not use skateboards, scooters, rollerblades, or other similar devices inside the library.
· You must not bring nonservice animals into the library or within ten (10) feet of any exit or entrance.
· You must not bathe, shave, use a hair dryer, or launder clothing in our restrooms.
· You must not exhibit lewd or offensive behavior. This includes, but is not limited to verbal assaults, harassment, threats, stalking, leering, indecent exposure, or sexual acts.
· You must not consume, be in the possession of, or be under the influence of alcohol.
· You must not consume, be under the influence of, or possess illegal drugs.
· You must not use tobacco, vape, marijuana, or products containing THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) less than fifty (50) feet from entrances or exits. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to the use of cigars, cigarillos, cigarettes, waterpipes, smokeless tobacco, e-cigarettes, vape pens, or similar devices.
· You must not vandalize or abuse library facilities, equipment, or materials.
Persons who do not follow these responsibilities may receive a warning from the library staff and/or an opportunity to cease the violation or leave the library. Illegal activity, as well as any willful or repeated violations of these guidelines or other posted library regulations (e.g. computer and internet use rules), may result in removal from the facility and/or suspension of Library privileges. In addition, where authorized by federal, state or local law, violations of these guidelines may also result in arrest. This “Rights and Responsibilities” policy replaces our “Patron Code of Conduct” policy.
Adopted by the West Florida Public Library Board on May 14, 2008.
Revised and approved by the West Florida Public Library Board of Governance on February 22, 2016.
Revised and approved by the West Florida Public Library Board of Governance on October 24, 2016.
Revised and approved by the West Florida Public Library Board of Governance on June 26, 2017.
Reviewed and approved by the West Florida Public Libraries Board of Governance on July 26, 2021