Lost and Found Policy
The West Florida Public Libraries is not responsible for personal items left in the library by patrons. All unclaimed items found shall be disposed of in accordance with the following guidelines:
- Unclaimed identification documents and items, including credit cards, wallets, and laptops, will be forwarded to the Pensacola Police Department or Escambia County Sheriff’s Department one hour prior to close of business.
- Lost and found items will be stored at central sites in all library facilities. Reasonable attempts will be made to contact the owners to reclaim their lost items.
- If the owner of a lost and found item visits the library and satisfactorily identifies the item, the item will be returned to its owner.
- Hazardous and perishable items are discarded immediately. Items such as food, personal care, baby bottles, or water bottles will be disposed of immediately.
- All other items, if not claimed in a timely manner, will be discarded, provided to the Police or Sheriff’s Department, or donated to charity, as appropriate.
Reviewed and approved by the West Florida Public Libraries Board of Governance on Dec. 16, 2019. Revised and approved by the West Florida Public Libraries Board of Governance on June 28, 2021.
Revised and approved by the West Florida Public Libraries Board of Governance on June 27, 2022.